Thursday, October 8, 2015

Three

Today marks three months that someone I love SO much has been without opiates. Three months ago today something happened that felt like and essesentially was rock bottom for this person. It's now viewed more as a blessing in disquise. It's been a climb but it's already been THREE WHOLE MONTHS. That's years to a drug addict, well, it is, but it isn't... getting clean means thinking clearly and not wanting to go back there, where your life revolves around the addiction because your body can't function properly without, where your safety is in jeopardy most days, where your friends aren't really friends, where you no longer talk to family but instead worry them, you no longer have to chase a high that ultimately makes you feel empty and low. I say "it is, but it isn't" and when I say it isn't i say this because once an addict has made it to a mile stone they seem to realize that time goes by faster because they are more alive in being away from their poison of choice.

You've overcome the initial withdrawal, you've started working on you, accomplishing goals and when I look and talk to you I see the happy, full of energy and life you, again. Just know that it doesn't go unnoticed. You are creative, you can puts words into play, and I think if you stick with it, you will someday have a book. I like that you have taken your thoughts and put them into words. I'm tellin' ya, that one, they gonna write a book someday! I want you to know you will ALWAYS have me here when it gets tough, I'm hands down your BIGGEST fan!

If you know someone struggling with addiction, try to understand before prejudgement. It's not as easy as you may think. I've grown up around addicts, and my advice to people who don't have knowledge about it is, start viewing it as a disease as opposed to a choice. It may have started out as a choice but it's not like someone goes into it choosing to be an addict. I mean it's not like someone says yeah I'll have a drink, or smoke, or line, or take that and see what that high is like and really thinks they are going to get addicted. Now I'm in no way preaching and saying don't do drugs, it's wrong, it would in fact be hiprocrital of me to say because I'm not perfect and I've done drugs. But I'm just saying be aware, because addiction can happen to anyone. If you know someone who struggles with an addiction problem and you don't quite understand it, you can read more about that HERE.

 And to you, yeah YOU..
remember today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

i am so lucky to have you in my life, you know i love love LOVE you!

No comments:

Post a Comment